How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) is a diamond in the situational comedy field that seems like, despite running seven seasons already, it will continue to grow its fan base and gain even more popularity in its last two seasons.
Basic HIMYM Thoughts & Info
Fans are looking forward to discovering who the mother of protagonist Ted Mosby‘s (Josh Radnor) children will be—the primary storytelling device that narrates the “core” of the show’s plots.
I’ve only recently joined the fan-base of this television phenomenon, but I thoroughly enjoy the comedic and dramatic mix of the long-term television narrative and the episodic plots on HIMYM.
If you are one of the (majority) of folks who haven’t discovered the show, I would encourage you to give it a chance (the first six season are on Netflix streaming).
As a romantic and a bachelor in his mid-twenties, I very-much relate to Ted and his “adventure” to find love! But the show wouldn’t be complete without the other lead characters in the “core” friendship.
- Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris) is a fantastic comedic relief as a competitive playboy.
- Marshall Eriksen (Jason Segel) complements both Ted and Barney as a hybrid of both characters with his own unique style.
- Lily Aldrin (and later Eriksen, played by Alyson Hannigan) really shines in the series as Marshall’s better half and can keep up with the boys’ “manly” pranks and discussions. Alyson really breaks from her calling card in Buffy the Vampire Slayer with her role in this series.
- Robin Scherbatsky (Cobie Smulders) rounds out the primary roles and prides herself on leading an independent life while being “one of the guys” (and often better than them at their own games) Cobie also plays in the 2012 mega-blockbuster, The Avengers.
The cast plays very well together and provide many, many laughs.
HIMYM Fun Discussion Questions
Let’s have some fun with HIMYM! Here are two hot debate questions (more HIMYM fun after the polls as well):
HIMYM Production Secrets & Trivia
For you production folks, the show is very unique in it’s production methods and style compared to the common sitcom. Here are a few interesting tid-bits I’ve learned:
- HIMYM is a blend between typical sound stage, 3-camera productions and single camera productions
- Each episode is shot over three days instead of three hours, making a live studio audience impossible
- Episodes are screened in front of an audience before air, and laugh tracks are recorded then
- Alyson Hannigan and Cobie Smulders were both pregnant during the same season (4)
- Barney Stinson is named after a heroin dealer from L.A. Confidential
- Five of the show’s 11 writers are female
- Most sitcoms shoot 12-18 scenes. HIMYM is more familiar with the 50-60 scene territory.
- Cobie Smulders performed the “Robin Sparkles” music video 40 times for cameras
- When Barney shares a statistic, it is some variation of 83%.
At the end of the seventh season, we discovered that playboy Barney will be the groom to Robin’s bride in a flash-forward from the common-time present amidst the series-long flash-back. (Ted’s telling the story to his children in the frame-narrative present. The time-frame is very clear in the series.) In the common-time present, Barney is engaged to a wonderful stripper (lol) named Quinn Garvey (Becki Newton) who many (including me) regard as being the best match for Barney in his relationship history.
My best guess—and there are quite a few opinions out there on how we’ll meet Mrs. Ted Mosby—is the season eight finale will bring us to Barney and Robin’s wedding (which we already know is where Ted meets the infamous girl), but the show will leave us with a cliffhanger in the “to-be-continued . . .” style and we’ll finally get to meet her in the season nine premier, leaving us with a full season to get to know her and wrap up all the loose plots.
Share Your Thoughts
But I’ve been wrong before and probably will be again.
- What are y’all’s thoughts on how the last two seasons will develop?
- What’s your favorite episode?
Share in the comments below!