From HBO: “Here’s one from the fans! Aspiring filmmaker Scott Murphy loves his Entourage. Last year, his trailer for Five Towns was featured on HBO.com. This year, he’s stepped it up and created his own vision of what Scorsese’s Gatsby could be.”
Gatsby is the quintessential union of classic meets modern. Based on F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, this trailer shows how a present-day version of the tale could occur.
The Story Behind the Story
After creating a trailer for the faux television series Five Towns (based on the plot of HBO’s Entourage) in 2008, HBO found the video on Vimeo and awarded Scott Murphy and his crew with a feature on HBO.com.
A year later, HBO contacted Scott again asking for a trailer for the fictional in-production modern version of The Great Gatsby to market the newest season of Entourage.
The entire trailer was shot over the period of a week during Spring finals at the University of Tennessee in 2009.
- Nick Carraway: MATT DEARMAN
- Jay Gatsby: PATRICK FOX
- Daisy Buchanan: MELISSA PRIODE
- Tom Buchanan: DANIEL HUBBARD
- George Wilson: CHRIS SHAMBLIN
- Melody Wilson: MEGAN GOWIN
- Director: SCOTT MURPHY
- Assistant Director: DANIEL HUBBARD
- Produced by badlandpictures
- Producer: SCOTT MURPHY
- Producer: MELISSA PRIODE
- Associate Producer: MATT DEARMAN
- Director of Photography: MELISSA PRIODE
- Senior Editor: SCOTT MURPHY
- Production Assistant: PATRICK FOX
- Production Assistant: BEN MOSER
- Production Assistant: CHRIS SHAMBLIN
- Ben Moser, for taking Production stills during the entire course of filming. View the photos here.
- The Priodes
Shot on a Canon XH-A1 with Letus Extreme and Redrock MicroMattebox; Lenses: Nikon 50mm f1.4 and Nikon 28mm f2.8. Locations: Knoxville, Tenn., Strawberry Plains, Tenn., University of Tennessee Gardens.